[BitTorrent] Re: SHA-0 Broken, MD5 Rumored Broken

dpmott at sep.com dpmott at sep.com
Fri Aug 20 10:52:31 EDT 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m...> wrote:

> I'd tend towards adding a "hashtype" field in torrent files so
> hashes of the same size can be distinguished; might be interesting
> to allow multiple hash types in the same torrent file.

Hmmm... you could already do this "outside" of the protocol, by
adding custom fields to the torrent.  If it's not in the protocol,
however, it can't be enforced, used, or even implemented consistently
(except amongst a small community using the same tools).

I (and at least one other) have suggested in the past that
an "overall" hash (per file) be added to the torrent specification,
which would allow you to verify each file as a whole.  At least then,
you could *know* that one or more of your chunks had been spoofed.
This idea was discarded as unnecessary *sigh*.

The use of a Merkle tree doesn't fix that same problem, does it?