[BitTorrent] Reducing dependency on trackers

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Aug 25 17:13:14 EDT 2004

>From: Gregorio Roper <gregorio at gmx.li>
> I think as a measure to increase performance in an environment of unreliable
> trackers it would be helpful to have messages for requesting/sending lists of
> peer addresses.

How does this help? I can see this possibly reducing the load on trackers
somewhat (something worthy of experimentation), but this doesn't help
reliability. Specifically, you still need the tracker for the initial
rendevous.

> The message format I had in mind was a PEER_ADDRESS_REQUEST message with no
> further payload for requesting addresses and a PEER_ADDRESS_REPLY message
> containing a simple list of 6 byte addresses (4 ip bytes in big-endian order and
> 2 port bytes in little-endian order).

Yuck! The networking convention is to use big-endian. BitTorrent itself
already uses big-endian in places, stick to the established convention.

What of IPv6?