[BitTorrent] Reducing dependency on trackers

Gregorio Roper gregorio at gmx.li
Wed Aug 25 16:38:49 EDT 2004

I think as a measure to increase performance in an environment of unreliable
trackers it would be helpful to have messages for requesting/sending lists of
peer addresses.

I'm sure this has been proposed before and I know Shareaza is already using some
kind of message for that purpose. I intend to add support for messages of that
kind for LimeWire. In case you agree, I would like to use one of the extension
bits in the BT handshake to indicate support for that message, - otherwise I
would just exchange this message among LimeWire nodes.

The message format I had in mind was a PEER_ADDRESS_REQUEST message with no
further payload for requesting addresses and a PEER_ADDRESS_REPLY message
containing a simple list of 6 byte addresses (4 ip bytes in big-endian order and
2 port bytes in little-endian order).

Comments? Suggestions?

mfg
gregorio