[BL] Screenshots

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Fri Feb 15 21:19:28 EST 2008

Message from Steven
===================
Teixeira wrote:

> My question is, is there a way to do some screenshotting,
> both graphical and text mode?

-----------
imagemagick
-----------
imagemagick is a collection of tools and libraries for image manipulation.

To take a snapshot using Imagemagic:
import -window root screenshot.png

--
xv
--

----
gimp

-------------------
Framebuffer Console
-------------------
Use fbgrab to grab a screenshot in a framebuffer console.
fbgrab filename.png

-----
scrot
-----
scrot is a small (66 kB) screen shot grabber based on imlib2. It has lots of options for autogenerating filenames, and can do fun stuff like taking screenshots of multiple displays and glueing them together.

---
xwd
---
xwd (manual page) is a part of XFree, so chances are high you already have it installed. It can dump screenshots to .xwd files. This is not a common format. After taking a screenshot using xwd -root -out test.xwd the only programs I found capable of opening it were Gimp and xwud (manual page).

xwd, imagemagick and xv are all available from Slackware 4.0.
You will also probably need to install the x-libs.tgz package
from the BL3.

Cheers,
Steven