[BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Fri Feb 1 21:44:20 EST 2008

Using bash (BL2) or sh (BL3), can I set the terminal to wrap at 40 lines?
Where does BL set columns, or does it use a default?

I am playing with a Palm III.  It has built-in networking which allows
connecting to an ISP, then I can use ssh or telnet to reach a shell
account.  PDA cable plus null-modem adaptor (consisting in our case of
blue nullmodem cable and three other gender-changer and size-changer
adaptors) plus modem gets me lynx (with Mocha Pocket Telnet - not Topgun
SSH, which does poor terminal emulation).  It would help to set 40 col at
my shell accounts (temporarily via command line).

In theory you can use the PDA connection cable (which is apparently a
nullmodem cable) alone with the PDA in terminal mode (Mocha telnet or
pvterm?) to run BL on a PDA connected to a PC.  Mocha telnet lets you
scroll to see 80 columns but it is a pain.  It does VT220 and also VT100 -
no 40 col mode - or maybe VT102.  To use an external terminal you need to
edit inittab.  BL2 comes with the required line in inittab but BL3.4 and
BL3.5 do not.

In BL2:
c4:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
(virtual terminal No. 4)
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS0 vt100
(uncomment #s2 to devote a serial port to nullmodemed terminal)

In BL3.5:
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh  (virtual terminal No. 3)

What do these differences mean and can I copy over the BL2 line for a real
terminal connection or should it be different?

We have a Palm III external keyboard but supposedly it cannot be used
while telnetted or in terminal mode.

I compiled and posted pilot-link software for palm in linux (BL2).

Sindi

keesan at sdf.lonestar.org