[BL] Using ATA100 PCI IDE controllers in BL2

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Tue Dec 11 22:41:35 EST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzprosis.431
>> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/confprosis.431

For the VIA 82C set of southbridges:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimavps.431
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/confvps.431

These drivers cannot be used as modules, only built into the kernel.
Attempting to insert a module gives a list of unresolved symbols related
to ide, pci and pio.

Using an 80-wire IDE cable my 16MB/sec 2GB drive and my 66MB/sec 20GB
drive transferred at 4 and 5 MB/sec without the above kernel, and at 7 and
26MB sec with the kernel containing the correct UDNA100 drives.

/proc/ide/via lists information about the controller and the drives now.
Transfer rate 16.6MB/s and 66.6MB/sec, Cable Type 80w, etc.  UDMA100.

I identified the controller by looking at the motherboard and searching on
its name (a DFI) and southbridge.  This is an Intel board.

> For onboard Sis controller, 2.5GB and 60GB drives:
> hdparm:  1.91 and 1.83 MB (" ")
>> hdparm with SIS5513 kernel:  9.2MB and 46MB

> For add-in Promise controller:
> hdparm with Promise kernel:  8.23M and 46M

hdb is UDMA100 in this case.  The actual rate of transfer seems to be
about 40-54% of theoretical, depending probably on the drive itself.
I found a listing of actual speeds of different models.

Almost none of our controllers work at the proper speed in DOS, the only
exceptions being one IBM 800MHz and one Emachine 1GHz.  The 233-500MHz
DELl and Micron computers run drives faster (in DOS) than the 1GHz and
faster computers.  Probably also faster in linux if you don't have the
correct driver for the faster controller.

Sindi