[BL] Specific N.I.C. and sound drivers for BL3-50?

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Thu Dec 6 21:26:36 EST 2007

> > 1) N.I.C. is a D-Link DFE-530TX Rev D2 PCi card.
> I have NEVER run into anything needing the via-rhine, and have used dozens
> of ethernet cards.  8139 is very common.  If it does not work try 8139too,
> which I have only used with 2.4.31.  2.4.31 kernel requires:  crc32.o
> mii.o 8139too.o in that order.

Thanks for the assistance!...... 8139too.o worked great for this
N.I.C. at the first try,
at least in the 2.2.26 system

> > 2) The sound card is a built-in computer component which registers as
> > a 'Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible' in Windows 98.
> For kernel 2.2.26 without external or synthesized midi (use the BL
> timidity package instead):
>
> insmod soundcore
> insmod sound
> insmod uart401
> insmod ad1848
> insmod cs4232 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=5

went ahead and carried this out after downloading the extra needed BL3
modules (for kernel 2.2.26)
No error messages from this and 'lsmod' showed that these modules all
seemed to load fine.

Once this was carried out and 'mpg123 /tmp/test.mp3' started,
IRQ/DRQ Configuration Error messages kept appearing on the screen.

'cat /proc/ioports' showed the Crystal audio controller as
io=0x220-0x223 with no other overlapping addresses
'cat /proc/dma' properly showed dma=1 and dma=5 with the Crystal audio
controller
'cat /proc/interrupts' showed 5: 232

Stopped looking into configuring this sound-unit from within DOS,
and/or spending time playing around with the repository's mpu401.o
module.

-itf36