[b-hebrew] Fwd: שלם used to denote non-peaceful word(s) “requite/revenge, repay”?

lascelles James lasgbjames at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 11:43:34 EDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: lascelles James <lasgbjames at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] שלם used to denote non-peaceful word(s)
“requite/revenge, repay”?
To: Philip <philipengman at yahoo.com>

Hi Philip:

These are my thoughts:

The saying that "there can be no peace without justice/recompense" may
throw some light on the spectrum of meaning encompassed by these root
consonants *S*LM. Peace is achieved through restoration, recompense, and
reward which are members of a semantic set that that also includes revenge,
repayment and reclamation. The performance of peace is action that is
described by this semantic set in their verbal forms.

Viewed through another panel, peace is not just simply the "absence of war
or hostility" but the act of ending hostility through reparation which
sometimes presupposes retaliation.

(I have gleaned my thoughts from the BDB and the American Heritage
Dictionary)

Hope this will help.

Lascelles