[b-hebrew] to'evah

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Mar 28 18:53:22 EDT 2013

1. Correct. The letters ו ב פ are "interchangeable". Consider the
triplet
שבע שוע שפע

2. The act עוה AWAH 'distort, deviate', is a variant of עבה
ABAH , 'thick, big'.
The letter I is thin, but the devious letters O and U are thick. The
acts כפף 'bend'
and גבב GBB (in the HB only GAB), 'pileup', are one and the same.

3. The description of feelings or states of consciousness is
difficult, but I don't
think that תועבה "comes from" a show of twisted face. The word
כיסופים KIYSUPIYM,
'longings' as in Ge. 31:30 has nothing to do with כסף 'money'.

4. The root B of תועבה TOEBAH means 'be, come', referring to a
sensation. I mentioned
this before. The act בא BA is commonly used in spoken Hebrew to
denote desire: BA LIY
LIROT SERET בא לי לראות סרט 'I would rather see a movie'.

5. The words אב 'father', and עב 'cloud', come both from the root
B, 'big, large'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University