[b-hebrew] to'evah

Yohanan bin-Dawidh yohanan.bin.dawidh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 18:58:45 EDT 2013

Hello Michael,

The term תועבה in a ritual sense means something that is "unclean" or
"impure", and in a ethical sense means something that is "wicked". The word
comes from the root תעב, which holds the meaning of "to abhor" or "to
loathe".

In trying to understand this term properly, I look at the texts where this
term is used, and one of the mest usages of the term is the fact that in
Sefer B'reshi*t* 43 that is was תועבה for the Mi*s*rayim to eat with 'I*b*rim.
In this situation it is an improper mixture between two different people,
two different social classes, i.e. an improper or impure union of people.

Sincerely,

Yo*h*anan bin-Dawidh