[b-hebrew] Zipporah the Cushite

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Mar 17 01:37:21 EDT 2013

Another thing.

1. Onkelos indeed translates הכושית HA-KU$IYT as שפירתא
$APIRTA from the root שפר $PR (an obvious variant of SPR 'tell a
tall tale'), 'accumulate'. In spoken Hebrew שיפור $IYPUR is
'improvement', namely, the accumulation of good things.

2. We should also mention here the root קשט Q$T of which we have
the קשיטה Q$ITAH 'coin, nugget' of Gn. 33:19, and קושט QO$T,
'piece', of Prov. 22:21. In spoken Hebrew קישוט QIY$UT is
'ornament, accessory'.

3. Also relevant here is the QASQAS = QAS-QAS, 'scale, hard flake',
of Lev. 11:9.

Isaac Fried, Boston University