[b-hebrew] abrHm or abRhm?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 05:48:18 EDT 2013

Nir et al.:

One error I notice is the the assumption is made that the name mirrors
exactly what the person says concerning the person’s situation. So, for
example, people twist the name Samuel to try to make it say something about
listening because “God listened to my prayer” when an analysis of the
letters of the name indicate that “God placed him for I asked for him from
YHWH” 1 Samuel 1:20.

Other times names may have been deliberately distorted, such as Yaabets 1
Chronicles 4:9.

In the name Abraham, are we dealing with a direct connection assuming
Ab-raham or a more indirect meaning such as a Yiqtol verb A-barah-m meaning
“I’ll make them have many sons” or something similar? With a meaning
connected with BR son?

Everyone is so hung up that Ab must mean “father” and that there must be a
direct correlation of meaning that they don’t see other possibilities.

No, I’m not claiming I have the answer, only saying there are other options
on the table that should be considered.

Karl W. Randolph.