[b-hebrew] The Etymology of the name "Abraham"

lascelles James lasgbjames at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 06:22:45 EDT 2013

Dear List Members:

Thanks to your very enlightening responses by way of discussion including
differences of opinion  I now have a much better approach to understanding
the meaning of the name Abraham. Some sources including the Online
Etymology Dictionary
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=abraham&searchmode=none

indicate that the name Abraham means "father of a multitude," from
abh "father" + *raham (cognate with Arabic ruham "multitude"); the name was
altered from Abram "high father," from second element ram "high, exalted."

However, having read your responses I realize that a comparative study of
semantic changes in the related semitic languages as well as dialects
should yield fruit in regard to this *shem* (name).

*todah*

Lascelles James