[b-hebrew] The Name Abraham

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Mar 10 22:57:17 EDT 2013

1. Hebrew uses the "generic theophoric" name EL, from the root L,
'up, high, elevate'.

2. It is possible that the IYR (plural: IYRIYN) of Daniel 4:14(17)
refers to an exalted being.

3. The "theophoric" R (for OR, 'light'?) appears also in A$ER and
ISRAEL. The last name is, methinks, the "theophoric" compound S+R+L.

4. Earlier biblical names are unique and need not be "attested
historically". It is only today, that every second xeider boy is
called Moishik, if not Mendl.

5. The TRAPIYM that LABAN kept at home had possibly all "theophoric",
or positive, names such as AB, AX, AG, A$, AL, AR, AD, AZ, AM, AN,
from which new names were made by combinations, namely DAN = AD+AN, A
$ER = A$+ER, GAD = GA+AD, etc.

6. You have the right to believe that Abraham is an editorial
creation, with an official editorial etymology.

7. I have the right to believe that ABRAHAM is related to the Indian
Brahmin, with an added initial A.

Isaac Fried, Boston University