[b-hebrew] The Name Abraham

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Mar 10 10:02:19 EDT 2013

Earlier biblical names are a fata morgana. The whimsical partition of
the name ABRAM into AB-RAM is not better than ABR-AM, or AB-RA-AM,
and the spelling of the name with an aleph instead of with an eyin
may be an intentional obfuscation by latter scribes. Why SARAY is
spelled with a sin instead of a samek is obvious ––– to make us think
it has something to do with SAR, 'prince'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University