[b-hebrew] genitive PP suffix

Jonathan Mohler jonathan.mohler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 01:05:27 EDT 2013

On Jul 24, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Isaac Fried wrote:

> What I have said is that I tend to think that corresponding to
> את, אתה, אתם AT, ATAH, ATEM,

Interesting to me is how wide spread this dental form is throughout European languages: tu, toi, ta, ti, du, thou, etc..

> there was in use, in some corner of Hebrew
> אך, אכה, אכם AK, AKAH, AKEM

This one shows up in Bantu as 2sg affixes; accusatives ku and khu, genitives -ako, -akho

> (a hint of which we find in אנוכי ANOKIY and אנחנו ANAXNU), that survived
> only as a "suffix" personal pronoun (PP) to express the "genitive",
> to wit, אמך IMKA = EM-AKAH, 'your mother'.

cf. Swahili MAMAKO, 'your mother'

ANOKIY has a cousin as well: Swahili, -ANGU --> babangu, 'my father' and Luyia -ANGE omwanange, 'my son'

> Another fossil is the אתי ATIY, instead of אני ANIY, left frozen as a "suffix" in the
> compound שברתי $ABARTIY = $ABAR-ATIY, 'I have broken'.

I never thought about this one.
The 1st person nominative subject prefix for the immediate future in Luyia is a nasalized derivative of *ATIY, NDA.

> Isaac Fried, Boston University

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO