[b-hebrew] genitive PP suffix

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 24 18:53:58 EDT 2013

What I have said is that I tend to think that corresponding to
את, אתה, אתם AT, ATAH, ATEM,
there was in use, in some corner of Hebrew
אך, אכה, אכם AK, AKAH, AKEM
(a hint of which we find in אנוכי ANOKIY and אנחנו ANAXNU),
that survived
only as a "suffix" personal pronoun (PP) to express the "genitive",
to wit, אמך IMKA = EM-AKAH, 'your mother'.

Another fossil is the אתי ATIY, instead of אני ANIY, left frozen
as a "suffix" in the
compound שברתי $ABARTIY = $ABAR-ATIY, 'I have broken'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University