[b-hebrew] the root KPR in Deut21:8.

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jul 23 21:05:18 EDT 2013

וְנִכַּפֵּר the root is KPR, the act is KAPAR. The initial
NI is the personal pronoun ANIY, 'self', (similar to the French
reflexive pronoun 'se', or the German 'sich') identifying the
receiver of the action as the blood. In my opinion the inner -E- is
also a personal pronoun, a contracted היא HIY, also for the blood.

The letter K is with a dagesh, as expected after a xiriq. Some would
say that this dagesh is to mark a "missing" T of the hitpael form
נִתכַּפֵּר The dagesh in the P is as expected after a patax.

Isaac Fried, Boston University