[b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

Ken Penner kpenner at stfx.ca
Tue Jul 23 12:29:29 EDT 2013

See Joüon §6i:
“It is recognised that Proto-Semitic had three long vowels, ā, ī, ū, three short vowels a, i, u, and two diphthongs ay, and aw.”
Proto-Semitic /ay/ ‍became Tiberian ֵ
בֵּית־ “the house of” < /*bayt/; סוּסֵ֫ינוּ /susẹ'nu/ “our horses”
So Joüon §76c has for Primitive פ״י verbs:
*yayṭīb > יֵיטִיב.

Paul Joüon and T. Muraoka, A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew (Roma: Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 2006).

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Religious Studies
2329 Notre Dame Avenue, 409 Nicholson Tower
St. Francis Xavier University
Antigonish, NS  B2G 2W5
Canada
(902)867-2265