[b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Tue Jul 23 07:56:24 EDT 2013

Hi Pere
I do believe that this is because it is followed by a yod, and the
yod is never pronounced with a lengthened 'a' sound.  The yod will
always be either an 'i' or an 'ay'  that is either with a tsere or a
hireq, remeber that a yod is actually a vowel in its own right with a
distinctive sound as just mentioned.  The others that you quote are
followed by consonants and therefore the aleph can have the 'ahh'
sound, since the aleph is not follwed by the yod.

Others on this list may give you a more professional explanation and
this would be always beneficial, but unfortunately I do not come from
a grammatical upbringing, just a reader and so I may not have given a
full explanation.

Chris Watts
Ireland