[b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 06:54:04 EDT 2013

Dear listers,

the word in Mic 1:8 we dealt with some days ago, has tsere under the aleph.
Now,  some words are found in the biblical text having the same pattern
(binyan, person, number...)...  And so,
)$BYTH, ashbytah (Dt 32:26)
W)BDYLH, w'abdylah (Ezr 8:24)
W)BLYGH, w'ablygah (Job 9:27)
All of these have PATAH under the aleph.
My question is:
is there any good reason for the tsere  -and not a patah--    under Tthe
form in Mic 1:8?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)

2013/7/22 Will Parsons <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu>

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:25:09 -0400, Isaac Fried <if at math.bu.edu> wrote:
> > "People" did not write the HB. Spoken Hebrew has its purposes, and BH
> > has its purposes.
> > I doubt that King David mundanely spoke to his wives and children in
> > BH.
>
> Obviously, BH is a language made up just to write down the scriptures.
>
> --
> Will Parsons

Pere Porta