[b-hebrew] Ruth 1:12 too old for a husband

Jonathan Mohler jonathan.mohler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:17:33 EDT 2013

This idea is still reflected in some modern languages.  In Swahili, and to my knowledge in all Bantu languages, the man is always the agent of the verb "marry" or "take" (in marriage).  The woman does not take him, she is taken by him.  This is related to the fact that he "acquires" her, just as in BH.  A man marries, the woman "is married."  By analogy in BH when the man takes the woman (to be to him a wife), the verb would be a qal, while if a woman is taken, I would expect the niphal.

In our English vows, we ask "do you take this man,"  In Swahili, It would be more like "do you agree to be taken."

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO