[b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Mon Jul 22 08:19:55 EDT 2013

Ok positive proof that my modern hebrew needs some serious
negotiation.  I never meant 'too old to be a woman' but that is
obviously what I wrote quite funny since this is how I would have
said it in conversation and been laughed at.  (made a similar mistake
in dutch many years ago when starting to learn - I ordered chips with
hot peanut butter sauce and onions - I instead asked for chips and
peanut butter sauce with lots of cows udders please!  instead of
onions because the two words are only different by a single letter,
and I pronounced that single letter obviously)

Anyway it seems that by the framing of the language a woman's self
worth was heavily dependant upon being married?  This is important
for me to understand because I am wondering whether naomi's lack of
self worth here is expressed or whether this would have been the
normal way of expressing a desire to be married?

Chris Watts
Ireland