[b-hebrew] Ruth 1: 12 too old for a husband

Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg waldeinburg at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 07:43:18 EDT 2013

I think the "causal" thing is there pragmatically, not semantically like in the translation. The hyperliteral translation would rather be: "I am old from being for a man." – without the "too".

I believe the use of מן here is that of comparison, i.e., the best literal translation should actually rather be: "I am older than being for a man."

- Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg