[b-hebrew] Xireq Compaginis

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Jul 18 14:17:37 EDT 2013

George Athas wrote:  “...or not”.
Based on that perceptive remark, let’s see if we can  analyze the name of
Esau’s first wife, a XTY at Genesis 26: 34, on the basis  that the yod/Y at
the beginning of such name may not be a xireq  compaginis.
Although -a [or -a-a or -ia or -ya] is ubiquitous as a  theophoric suffix
for Hurrian names, on occasion A- can function as a theophoric  at the
beginning of a name.
Five different women at Nuzi had Hurrian names that begin  A-xa.  That fits
the YH at the  beginning of the name of Esau’s first wife.  [Hebrew yod/Y
renders the Hurrian true  vowel A as its own separate syllable and cuneiform
sign.  He/H and heth/X are alternative Hebrew  alphabetical renderings of
the cuneiform sign XA or XU, though heth/X would be  better here;  Hurrian has
no  he/H.]
Now consider the following two men’s names at Nuzi, which  presumably are
identical in meaning, with the only difference being whether the  theophoric
is at the beginning or at the end.  There’s a man’s name A-xi-ú-ti.  That
fits YHWD, as the first four  letters of the name of Esau’s first wife.  [W
is the true vowel accented U, and D appears instead of T.  Remember from my
prior post that it is  attested at Nuzi that Xu-ti can be Xu-di, and that
Xu-ti-ia can be Xu-di-ia, so  there’s no trouble with D interchanging with T
for this name.]
Now consider that A-xi-ú-ti may well be identical in  meaning to the
attested male name Xu-ti-ia, which could be Xu-ú-ti-ia [since  Xu-ti is
alternatively attested as Xu-ú-ti].  It’s just that the theophoric comes at  the
beginning in A-xi-ú-ti, while coming at the end in Xu-ti-ia
So we’re well on our way to seeing the name of Esau’s  first wife as being
A-xi-ú-di-ia feminized : YHWDY-T : [a woman’s name meaning]  “Teshup,
Praise Teshup”.
The last question then is this.  Could a Hurrian woman’s name have that
theophoric [Hebrew yod/Y representing A- and -ia] both at the beginning and at
 the end?  Although very rare, it’s  possible!  At p. 10 of Gelb Purvis  “
Nuzi Personal Names”, we see the Hurrian woman’s name A-xa-xu-ia, which
seems  to have that re-duplicated theophoric.   [Though the reading is not
clear, at p. 50 we may see basically the same  name, this time being a man’s
name, where the initial theophoric has been  dropped:  Xa-xa-a-a -- Eri$.]
Thus in very rare cases, a Hurrian  woman’s name might have a theophoric both
at the beginning and at the end.
If that is the case here, then the meaning of the name of  Esau’s first XTY
wife is “Teshup, Praise Teshup”, and she is of the “Praise  Teshup”/XTY
people.
By George, I’ve think we’ve got it!
Jim Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois