[b-hebrew] What exactly is the semantic overlap between רוח as (1) 'breathe, blow' and (2) 'to be wide, spacious'?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 17 21:00:55 EDT 2013

RAX is a variant of RAK רך 'soft, pliable, yielding, tender,
spreadable',
as in Prov. 25:15. It is related to ערך ARAK, 'array, arrange',
ארוך AROK,
'long', ארוכה ARUKAH, 'relief' (as in Is. 58:8), and ארוחה
ARUXAH, 'meal'.

 From RX we have רוח RUAX, 'wind', ריח REYAX, 'smell', and
רחים REXAYIM, 'millstones'.

Language is capable of expressing the negative only via the positive:
nothing = no-thing. Thus, RAWAX is, 'relax, loosen, be free of
pressure'.

Related to this are:

RAXAB רחב 'wide'.
RARAQ רחק 'spread out'
RAXA$ רחש 'seethe, swarm'
RAXAC רחץ 'wash'
RAXAM רחם 'mercy, compassion'
RAXAP רחף 'hover', as in Gen. 1:2.

Also

RAKAB רכב 'mount, ride, combine'
RAKAS רכס 'assemble'
RAKA$ רכש 'acquired'

and

RAQAB רקב 'rotted'
RAQAD רקד 'danced'
RAQAM רקם 'stitched'

and many more of the form #RX, #RK and #RQ.

Isaac Fried, Boston University