[b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Wed Jul 17 16:31:39 EDT 2013

<<<<<  Hi Jerry, I will answer each question as you asked it below

On 17 Jul 2013, at 18:04, Jerry Shepherd wrote:

Hi Chris,
Thanks for responding on this one.  Just a few thoughts in reply.

(1) You say you have no training, but you have apparently had at
least some
Hebrew.  Could you tell us what you have had?

<<<<<<I have been reading for many many years and listening to music
and anything that I could get my hands on; but only over the last
couple of years have I actually been able to study in depth.  No
college education, just self taught, while truck driving around
Europe, but now I have much more time to study... a lot of my
learning came from Rabbinical sources in the sense that I learned how
they pull things apart so to speak, now I recognise that some of
their methods are questionable and am always questioning and keeping
control, but I found more common sense and depth from them, more than
I have the christian books and essays and preaching to be honest.
Besids, They know their own language better than anyone and I value
their insight a lot.>>>>>>>

(2) You said, “The root means as you know, to be clear, in the
forefront,
shine, to demonstrate . . .”; but actually, I don’t know that.  What
resource did you get this information from?  Is this perhaps from an
older
lexicon?

<<<<I could not afford those expensive lexicons and was happy to find
a Samuel Prideax tregelles Lexicon based on Gesenius from 1864 for a
few old pennies,  I find it gives so much more information than the
modern lexicons that I have seen on the web, even though they are
undoubtedly up to date, I don't think up to date is always a good
thing, nevertheless mine is also probably open to critical comments,
besides I needed to purchase quite a lot of books some years ago and
rummaged every antique bookshop I could find in Holland and England
to get what I needed, it was more affordable, and I suppose a sense
of nostalgia in thumbing through 150 year old pages wondering who was
first reading them, it's funny seeing hand written notes from so long
ago>>>>>>

(3) I appreciate the attempt, but you can’t really take a root word
apart
and obtain meaning from just part of the root.  So, it really isn’t
legitimate to read כח into יכח.

<<<<<this once again is something that I have looked a lot into, I
keep my reigns tight and will not go overboard, I rely firstly on
even shoshan and translate the modern hebrew, I then look up in
dictionaries and see where else this word is used to get a feel for
its semantics.  But a valuable technique from the rabbinical method
of analysis has in the past yielded incredible light on words and
phrases that would not be so apparent merely by a sanitised
grammatical perspective, (hastening to add that this does not replace
anything, it is for me an added dimension that more often that not
yields interesting depths) one has to be careful and I believe that I
am, but I took hold of one particular technique where some verbs in
hebrew have a consistent manner about them where you take the first
two root letters and add a different third root letter and you often
see a common denominator in its final application that would be
linked back to the first two letters.  Now I do respect grammatical
frameworks and have many grammar books to help me, and I am aware
that many on this forum will hot out at this and pooh pooh theis
approach (I apologise to them), but I see Hebrew as being capable of
telling us more than what the grammatical structure reveals, I think
hebrew is playful and often the poetic narratives are filled with
double and even triple possibilities that often provide tension
between two extremes, even force us to keep two diametrically opposed
ideas possible because sometimes that is the whole purpose, not to
straitjacket a meaning by endless discussions on grammar but
sometimes the meaningt is not meant to be fixed into concrete .  And
I saw in this verbal root strength, it stuck out a mile, and then
applied this concept to someone who has a right mind based upon the
actual root meaning which I got from Samuel Prideax tregelles Lexicon
(1864) based on Gesenius. Now I realise that I took the last two root
letters, it just stuck out too much to ignore.  Strength of mind was
what I kept feeling - highly Un-Empirical I know but that was my
feeling.  strength of mind, and the mind is the forefront and is the
thing we use to demonstarte and should be lalight in the sunshine to
make clear and right judgements and decisions, that is how I felt
things when I read that verse.>>>>>>>

In any case, while I don’t think you get there by the right method,
you are
nevertheless correct that the prophets were often thought to be not in
their right mind (see Jer 29:26; Hos 9:7).

<<<<<<I believe that the context fitted my translation, because God
had said that he was to appear dumb (without speech) and that his
manner was to appear of no worth in the face of the Israelites who
knew him.  I am reminded of how God refutes the wicked with foolish
things and makes something that is 'not' into something that is
'something'.  the faxct that God would open his mouth in pure clarity
would, I feel, be strong persuasive evidence to his kinsmen that God
was with Ezekiel.>>>>>>>

Chris Watts
Ireland