[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:13:26 EDT 2013

Chris:

When I studied Hebrew in class in college, my professor taught us the
Yemenite pronunciation. The reason given was that this was the only dialect
that gives voice to all the points as indicated by the Masoretes.

The father of modern Israeli Hebrew came from a German speaking background,
so was unable to pronounce some of the phones found in Yemenite Hebrew, one
of which was the waw. Hence the vov with the same pronunciation as the vet..

Since college I have come to the conclusion that my professor, by extension
his professors as well, were wrong, that in Biblical times there was no
difference in pronunciation of the BeGaD KeFaT. Nor any difference between
the Sin and Shin.

Yeah, this is off the subject, but a pleasant diversion.

Karl W. Randolph.