[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:24:54 EDT 2013

Jerry:

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Karl: "I’d still like to know what you’d call it when non-native speakers
> of a language mispronounce and misuse that learned, second language? When
> it is a whole society, so that their misuse changes that learned, second
> language to approximate their native tongue, how is that not corruption of
> that learned, second language? If not corruption, what do you call it?"
>

> Jerry: "The question begs the question in that I do not admit that this is
> what happened.  I don’t believe the Masoretes misused the biblical text.  And
> their pronunciations, while there could have been some minor differences,
> were not substantial differences.  I would not call what the Masoretes'
> work on the biblical text a corruption.

This is a red herring fallacy. Is this what I should expect from you?

You still haven’t answered my question.

I don’t how many times on this list I have stated that much of the change
would have happened in the first few generations after Hebrew ceased to be
a natively spoken language. In other words, the biggest changes in Hebrew
would have happened by the DSS period. As a result, bringing up the
Masoretes in this context is irrelevant.