[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 00:49:43 EDT 2013

Karl: "This is completely backwards—I don’t straitjacket the text, rather
the text leads to the understanding.  If one defines each word’s use by its
immediate context, if taken to its logical conclusion, results in
linguistic chaos where meanings are subject to one’s personal whims. There
needs to be some discipline. What do you suggest should be the discipline?"

Jerry: When you come to the biblical text with the preconceived notion that
a lexeme in all its occurrences has "one unique meaning" you are inevitably
going to distort the text.   Languages don't work that way; texts don't
work that way.  The recognition that a lexeme can have different meanings
by no way leads to linguistic chaos.  That is simply a fiction of your
imagination.  Yes, there is a discipline, and the grand majority of
biblical scholars are well trained in that discipline.  In the next day or
two, I'll start a separate thread on a particular Hebrew word to
demonstrate how that discipline works.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd