[b-hebrew] masoretes

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Mon Jul 15 03:38:43 EDT 2013

I have a book by angel saenz badillos called 'The History of the
Hebrew Langauge'.  When I bought it it I did not realise how
difficult his langauge would be, he uses terminologies and latin
expressions and defines concepts that just fly over my head and leave
me 'umphhed'  However, I double-checked a few pages and he does make
it clear that the original pronounciation of Hebrew was so different
from the time of the masoretes.  I tried to find where he might have
mentioned that the aleph yod vav and heh were introduced as vowels,
but unless he has clouded that information in ancient latin and
unfamiliar grammatical terminology I can not find it.  So how do the
analysts know that these four consonants were then later inserted to
be used as vowels?  Just a question.

Chris Watts
Ireland