[b-hebrew] Masoretic transmission of pronuncation

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:40:08 EDT 2013

Hi Will,

See my post to Barry for a follow-up on his response.  Again, in normal,
casual, and even homiletical and liturgical contexts, I don't doubt at all
that the "host" language affected the way the ancient language was
pronounced.  But it seems to that for the "academics," the tradents who
were working with the texts in more professional and academic setting, they
would have been in the know, and would have been aware of the difference
between the pronunciation in earlier times and the more popular
pronunciation as influenced by the host language.  So, for the academic,
scholarly elite, I am skeptical about your last statement that, "The idea
that Latin (or more to the point, Hebrew) would be spoken  with a
pronunciation different from the normal spoken language would simply not
have occurred to anyone in the Middle ages."  When I preach I say
"Solomon"; but at an academic conference  I say "Shelomo".

But I'm open to being made to stand corrected.  Anyone else want to chime
in on this?

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd