[b-hebrew] Masoretic transmission of pronuncation

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 19:53:56 EDT 2013

Hi Will,

You have provided some interesting information here, and made a somewhat
plausible case for your position.  However, there are two significant
problems as I see it.

(1) You rightly state, "the two situations are not entirely parallel."  And
I believe the differences in the two situations are more substantial than
you seem to allow.

(2) You rightly state, "Lacking a time machine we cannot be absolutely
sure, but we can
reconstruct this with a fair degree of confidence."  Actually, I don't have
the same level of confidence you do in your reconstruction.  What is your
actual evidence that a reader of a Latin text imposed a French
pronunciation on it?  I agree with you that replacing a I sound with a J
sound would have been a "normal phonological development in the evolution
of Latin into Old French."  But I would need to see greater evidence that
an 11th century French speaker, when trying to read and pronounce a Latin
text, would have made that change.

Perhaps one of the Latin experts on the list, Barry Hofstetter could chime
in and give us his take on this.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd