[b-hebrew] כְּעֵין אֶבֶן תַּרְשִֽׁישׁ - "like the gleam of a Tarshish stone"? (Ezek 10:9)

Stewart Felker stewart.felker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 14:12:09 EDT 2013

"Then I looked, and behold, four wheels beside the cherubim, one wheel
beside each cherub; and the appearance of the wheels was like the gleam of
a Tarshish stone."

Is there any evidence from the ancient Near East of cognates of עין being
understood similarly as 'gleam'? I know that the eyes can be 'made bright'
(from אוֹר) - cf. Ps 13.3. Further, I know that some Egyptian traditions
envision the sun as an eye (of Ra, etc.) - but obviously neither of these
are really parallel to the use of עין in Ezek 10 (and 1:16, as well).

Stewart Felker
University of Memphis