[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jul 11 19:47:53 EDT 2013

1. There is no such thing as "intensity" nor "assertiveness" in Hebrew.

2. The two consonant root רם RM can have no piel form as it can not
accommodate the two internal personal pronouns (PP) -I- and -E-.
For a "heavier" verbal form the root needs first to be extended to the
three consonant RMM as in Ps. 107:25
רוח סערה ותרומם גליו
"raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof"

3. Since the first of the two PP in the hiphil form is external, all
is needed
is but one additional internal PP, as in הרים HE-R-IY-M, 'lifted'.

4. For the root קם KM the a piel form is achieved by turning it first
to KYM, then to KIYEM, as in Esther 9:31
לקים את-ימי הפרים האלה בזמניהם, כאשר
קים עליהם מרדכי היהודי ואסתר המלכה,
וכאשר קימו על-נפשם, ועל-זרעם
"that these days of Purim should be observed at their appointed seasons,
as Mordecai the Jew and Queen Esther obligated them, and as they had
obligated themselves and their offspring"
but here the piel form endowed the verb with the sense of 'maintain,
exist' (compare with the יקום YQUM, 'erect, standing up, alive' of
Gen. 7:4.)

Isaac Fried, Boston University