[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:23:41 EDT 2013

Hi Karl,

First of all, I pretty much agrfee with Chavoux's observations.

Second, in reply to your question, "The reason for my question is how long
a period after the return does he consider the “post-exilic period” and
what all does he include with it?", my answer would be that in large
measure I would put the entire Hebrew Bible here.  In addition to the books
that Chavoux mentions, I believe that much, if not all, of the Hebrew Bible
written before the exile was edited and updated, perhaps many of the
changes being orthographic and vocalic.

Third, when you say, "I've noticed a simpler use of the Hebrew language
among those authors among the returnees after exile . . . and you can see
the difference, at least I do," this is highly subjective -- not to mention
the highly speculative decisions that have to be made with regard to dating.

Fourth, even if you are correct that Hebrew became at some point during
this time a "special language learned for official and religious duties,"
this would actually be an argument that the pronunciation of biblical
Hebrew became, as it were, "frozen in time," and handed down through the
next generations or official scribes largely intact.

Finally, notice that all of the concession you've made in the last couple
of posts take you very far from your original unnuanced assertion that "you
can't trust the Masoretic points."

By the way, I'm still waiting for that Waltke-O'Connor documentation and
the evidence for the "strike" in baseball coming from a different root.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary