[b-hebrew] Amalek's attacks before the big battle of Ex 17:8?

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Thu Jul 11 14:49:32 EDT 2013

Karl, I would love to see where you're getting this from. As far as I know, the answer to David's question is no: there is now known evidence, outside of the Bible itself, that a people/tribe called Amalek ever existed. The fact that later writers, already with the biblical text, identified Arabian tribes that they were familiar with with the biblical Amalek is not proof of anything. By the way, the same is true for the Midianites, the Gorgashites, the Jebusites and several other groups.

Yigal Levin