[b-hebrew] Amalek's attacks before the big battle of Ex 17:8?

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Thu Jul 11 13:36:25 EDT 2013

This question really began because of the use of the word:  בדרך
twice here, which catches my attention mostly because it does not
say, when he met you at Rephidim, now I accept that this is still
Rephidim, but I also accept that words are not chosen haphazzardly in
scripture, they are very precise and that this phrase: "he met you
along the way" might just have been a complimentary addition to the
story in that Amalek was already attacking perhaps for a day or two
before the battle in Exodus.    Deut clearly states that the
Amalekites attacked the rear, the tail end, the stragglers, because
in exodus the account is clear that Amalek attacked first, and Moshe
did not attack immediately for it says:  Tomorrow..(we will fight)
before organising his counter attack.  So I suppose then, not to make
too huge a fuss, Amalek must have been nit-picking in guerilla like
tactics trying to avoid a full scale onslaught simply to steal and to
plunder from civilians as opposed to the "honourable" thing of
attacking fighting men on a field, while the Israelites were encamped
over a vast distance at Rephidim.  And Joshua organised the tactics
to sort him out the next day.

Chris Watts
Ireland