[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 12:43:54 EDT 2013

Hi Karl

On 11 July 2013 17:00, <b-hebrew-request at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> From: K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>
> To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>
> <snip>

> Please explain “but the post-exilic period is still within the biblical
> period.”

 All of Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Haggai,
Zachariah, Malachi as well as at least the last bit of 2 Kings (about an
exiled king being raised), parts of Ezekiel and possibly more, were written
after the exile. What is interesting to me, is that with the exception of
Daniel (who had a significant part of his training in Aramaic) and the
direct reproductions of letters written in Aramaic, they all still used
Hebrew rather than Aramaic. And although there is a bit of change in the
grammar, vocabulary and possibly pronunciation, their use of the language
does not seem to indicate second-language speakers to me. (Compare most of
the Greek New Testament where it is clear that some of it was written by
native Hebrew/Aramaic speakers rather than native Greek speakers). Yes,
like in any area where a smaller native language is spoken within the area
of a larger official language, the influence of Aramaic can be seen. But it
is clear from a reading of Ezra and Nehemiah that those returnees whose
children could no longer speak "Jewish", were not the rule, but the
exception.

Shalom
Chavoux