[b-hebrew] Amalek's attacks before the big battle of Ex 17:8?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:56:01 EDT 2013

Chris:

This is a linguistic answer.

The reason people were lagging was because they were thirsty and tired, so
didn’t have the strength to fight back. In fact, the complaints to Moses
about the lack of water could very well have been made even before all the
stragglers got to the camp.

The language of Deuteronomy doesn’t insist that the attacks of the
Amalekites happened before the main body of people had already reached
Rephidim. The phrase “on the road” includes the time encamped.

Karl W. Randolph.