[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 11:01:42 EDT 2013

Petr:

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Petr Tomasek <tomasek at etf.cuni.cz> wrote:

> You are obviously right that the exact pronounciation developed
> between Biblical times and the times of the Masoretic codices we know
> today. But this changes nothing on the fact that the Masoretic
> tradition is a reliable one: the vast majority of changes that
> happened to this tradition are simple sound shifts (and similar phenomena)
> that have absolutely no influence on the ability to discern particular
> forms, i.e. it has no influence on the meaning.

Thanks, I think you have explained more clearly what I write about when I
distinguish between pointing as an indicator of Biblical pronunciation, and
pointing as an indicator of meaning.

> So Karl's claim that because the Masoretic pronounciation doesn't
> reflect exactly the pronounciation "in the biblical times" (which itself
> may mean many things given the complicated textual history of the bible!)
> it shouldn't be trusted - or worse, one can arbitrarily "vocalize"
> the consonantal text is a complete nonsense.

But this paragraph is completely off. The pointing is just ancient
commentary, and to be taken with a grain of salt just like any other
commentary. And where I say it’s wrong in meaning, I mean that the meaning
indicated by the pointing contradicts what the consonantal text in its
context indicates should be the meaning.