[b-hebrew] b-hebrew Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 09:42:31 EDT 2013

Jonathan:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Jonathan Mohler
<jonathan.mohler at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> I agree with Jerry.  You speak in hyperbole.  For example you often speak
> of a 1000 yr gap between the Masoretic tradition and speakers of BH.  This
> ignores several factors. 1) Hebrew was spoken without interruption well
> into the common era in Tiberias and other parts as well.

Even 1500 years after the Roman empire fell, Latin is still spoken.

However, probably that whole 1500 years, no one has spoken Latin as his
native tongue.

You need to distinguish between those two different ways of speaking Latin.

All the evidence I have seen, including in Ezra and Nehemiah, indicate that
those Jews who returned from the Babylonian exile spoke Aramaic as their
native tongue. Yes, Hebrew was spoken, but no one spoke it in the market
nor in the home. In short, no one spoke Hebrew as his native tongue.

Further, Biblical Hebrew was replaced by Mishnaic Hebrew by the time of the
DSS, which has been reported as having a different grammar, among other
things, from Biblical Hebrew.

>  2) So the time span  between an era of spoken Hebrew and the beginning of
> the Masoretic effort is much smaller, if not negligeable.  3) if they were
> passing on an oral tradition, we can be quite confident that much of what
> is passed on comes from antiquity. The veracity of oral traditions is well
> established in anthropological circles.

That veracity of oral tradition doesn’t extend to pronunciation. The
biggest changes in pronunciation would have come in the first couple of
generations of native Aramaic speaking Jews. Phones found in Biblical
Hebrew but not in Aramaic would have been dropped by the first generation
of Aramaic speaking Jews (mirroring what happens among immigrant families,
where even when children are brought up to speak their parents’ language
before going to school, those children tend to lose the ability to speak
certain phones by the time they reach college age).