[b-hebrew] Ecc 9:14

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Thu Jul 11 08:53:04 EDT 2013

Pere, my immediate reacion to tis verse is Yes it could be real.  By
virtue of a number of conclusions that I draw:
1.   A great King it says, not a great army; meaning a well known and
feared leader
2.  I am reminded of historical moments in history in Europe where
the army outnumbered the occupants of a small town and had to besiege
it for months.  Especially during the wars between the English and
French in France during the early medieval period.
3.  Even small towns could have had very inaccessible points of entry
for a would be attacker, and maybe the 'great king' did not want to
waste valuable men in a straight forward frontal approach, even
though he could have been successful he might then have become
resented by his troops for such an enormous sacrifice for such a
little town where this little town was no threat to him
strategically, maybe the twon had just insulted this king and the
king was more concerned about his pride than with obtaining any
strategic value from such a move.

Chris Watts
Ireland