[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Thu Jul 11 07:19:51 EDT 2013

I suppose then a classic example of what you are saying is found in
the verb  רום  where the qal is usually:  lift up, lift oneself up,
become high, exalt, but the hiphil is:  lift up, elevate, exalt,
increase ones own power.  The nuance is there I suppose but I
certainly see little difference between the two except that the
hiphil might appear More assertive? more referring to raising
yourself louder, noisier, higher?  (but then I would have expected
the latter to be in a piel?  Please forgive my obvious lack of
insight, but knowing the grammatical descriptions/theories and
categories and then understanding the practical realities of
translation are two different skills, the latter I am just beginning
to learn.

Chris Watts
Ireland

Finally, if I am off the mark as to the link between the two roots,
the point is still valid: Shalach is causative semantically and
proves the point I was making that Chris has no reason to balk at a
hiphil used imperatively.

Jonathan Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, Mo