[b-hebrew] Amalek's attacks before the big battle of Ex 17:8?

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Thu Jul 11 06:57:14 EDT 2013

To begin with just a brief question, we're all familiar with the
battle in Ex 17:8.  But in Deut 25:17 we note that Amalek was picking
the Israelites off at the rear, the weakest, those that were lagging
behind.  What I am curious about is this must have been happening
before the major battle where Moshe organised His major assault while
at Rephidim.  Is this true?  The only snag here is that the
Israelites were complaining about a lack of water, if the Amalekites
were already doing there hit and runs a few miles down the road on
theose that were at the back of the long march then the Israelites
would have told Moshe and they would have complained about this as
well.  So this is my question mark, the idea that the Amalekites
continued to haunt the Israelites after that major battle does not,
at this moment, seem plausible.

Chris Watts
Ireland