[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Jul 11 01:32:08 EDT 2013

Whoa! Hold your סוסים!

> In Exodus 8:1 The imperative "let my people go" שַׁלַּ֥ח<http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/7971.htm>  shallach is a causative of "go" halach.
> Interesting that this primitive prefix SHA- causative shows up in Bantu languages as a causative suffix.  Another discussion;-)

Um, that's pretty way off the mark. The shin is not an affix, but part of the root. Also, הלך ends with a kaph (כ), not a heth (ח). The two are very different letters and should not be confused. There is nothing here to suggest that שׁלח has anything to do with הלך. Yes, there is a Shaphel stem with causative shin prefix in some Semitic dialects, but that is certainly not what we have in the root שׁלח.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia