Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 10 23:02:40 EDT 2013

1. I tend to think that if there is point of contact between the Indo-
European and the Hebrew languages, then it is but at the level of the
uni-consonantal root. Namely, if L is 'up, on' in Hebrew (as in אל
EL, 'god', עול UL, 'young man', עול OL, 'yoke', and עלה ALEH,
'leaf'), then it is also 'up' in IE.

2. I discount the possibility of a Hebrew root meaning revolve = re-
volve.

3. As I see it the root GL consists of the combination G-L, where L
is for ALAH עלה 'tall', and where G is a concise גאה GAAH. Thus,
GAL is a mound, like תל TEL or חל XEL.

4. AGOL עגול is circular only by inference. The עגל EGEL,
'calf', has nothing to do with 'circle' (some say he runs in circles
around his mother), and I doubt that עגלה AGALAH, 'cart', has
anything to do with גלגלים wheels, or with עגלים
'calfs' (some relate it to the Aramaic עגלא 'speed'), or even
being of an elliptical shape. I also reject the notion that גיל
GIYL, 'joy', is running in circles.

5. The acts GALAL, HALAL, XALAL, KALAL and QALAL,

גלל הלל חלל כלל קלל

all mean 'include, pile-up'.

6. The late Hebrew (Aramaic) כרך KRAK, 'city, enclosure', is
possibly but the Greek kirkos, influencing the thinking that KIRCUR
is ,twist, swirl'. The "cognates" of KRKR are GRGR, HRHR, XRXR, KRKR,
QRQR

גרגר הרהר חרחר כרכר קרקר

Isaac Fried, Boston University