[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Jerry Shepherd jshepherd53 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 20:30:30 EDT 2013

Hi Jonathan,

I'm having a hard time following your logic in this paragraph.  You say,
"but what is important is the resulting semantic value of the verb not the
fact that a hiphil was used to arrive at the meaning."  I think I
understand part of what you're getting at; but it seems that the better way
to express it is simply that the hiphil has a number of nuances that can
loosely come under the banner of "causative."  As well as causative, there
is permissive, enabling, etc.  But the simple fact is that the verb YC)
wouldn't have any of these meanings if it wasn't in the hiphil.  Or perhaps
I'm missing your point.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd