[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:52:27 EDT 2013

It appears to me that hif'il is a verbal form composed of a root and
two identity markers, or personal pronouns, one for the actor and one
for the beneficiary of the act. Thus, השכיב HI-$K-I-B consists of
$KB plus an initial היא HIY, 'he', and an internal היא HIY,
'he', contracted to a mere -I-, so as not to add a distracting
consonant.

I know nothing of Swahili, but I think that the "suffix" -sha or -za,
is, or used to be, an independent and meaningful word added to
enhance the context of the combination.

Isaac Fried, Boston University