[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:37:17 EDT 2013

Jerry:

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> The problem was with how strongly you put things: "You can't trust the
> Masoretic points."  I believe rather that a great deal of trust can be put
> in the Masoretic points.

So the problem is not so much what I say, as how I say it.

>   And, as it turns out, in the example Chris brought forward, the
> Masoretic text was spot on.

Not surprising, as the consonantal text indicated the same reading.

> Also, I do not believe that the Masoretic points reflect the "Masoretic
> time and place."  Rather, they reflect the tradition that was passed down
> to the Masoretes, which may well indeed go back to biblical times in large
> measure.

Actually, not to Biblical times. But it was a tradition that evolved over a
millennium of no native speakers in an Aramaic and later Greek milieus.

Years ago, I saw a history book on Nineva that mentioned that the contacts
with Israel transliterated the Hebrew names with all consonants followed by
vowels. Waltke and O’Connor mention that apparently the Amarna letters,
archeologically dated to the Divided Kingdom period, indicated that the
speech in Israel had every consonant followed by a vowel. Reading poetry
gives a rhythm when read with every consonant starting a syllable. The
Masoretic points have a different pattern.

Further, in that thousand years from the time Hebrew ceased to be a
natively spoken language to the Masoretes, how many pronunciations were
changed to reflect the changes in grammar that had occurred during that
period? Nobody can answer that question today.

The only reliable thing that we can say is that the Masoretic points
reflect the tradition that existed at the time of the Masoretes.